4 cloves garlic
2 cm piece ginger
2 tablespoons fish curry powder
½ cup cooking oil
1 sprig fresh curry leaves
425 g tin mackerel in tomato
1 tomato, quartered
2 okra/ladies fingers, diced
1 small brinjal/eggplant, diced
¼ cup tamarind juice
200 ml coconut milk
salt and pepper
- In a blender, mix the spice paste ingredients until fine. In a large pot, heat the oil and stir fry the curry leaves. Then add in the spice paste ingredients from the blender.
- Add tomatoes, okra/ladies fingers and brinjal/ eggplant. Stir gently. Then add the tomato sauce from the tin of mackerel, tamarind juice and half of the coconut milk and season to taste. For a rich curry, simmer longer to allow the gravy to thicken.
- Then add the mackerel and the balance of coconut milk to retain the coconut aroma.
- Allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes and stir it gently, so as not to break the mackerel.
- Garnish with sliced chillies, and serve with warm rice.