Epicurean Market 2014 is all set to indulge the palates of food aficionados over a multi-sensory gourmet celebration at Marina Bay Sands.
From 12-14 September, guests can experience award-winning bites from celebrity chef restaurants; dive deep into 35 master classes; interact with over 65 leading brands; bring home exclusively-bottled sauces and spice rubs; lounge at the central bar; dance to deejay-spun music; pick up produce at the Fresh Food Market and discover the finest wines from over 20 wine merchants.
Multi-Sensory Experience at Epicurean Market
Catch the kitchen action and camaraderie as chefs cook live to whip up their signature dishes for Epicurean Market. Enjoy freshly shucked oysters at db Bistro Moderne with its new raw oyster bar, gourmet DBGB hot dogs, a selection of delicious charcuterie and warm madeleines.
At Mozza, guests will get to dip their hands into fresh dough and learn from the masters to make orecchiette by hand. The orecchiette is the most typical pasta shape of Puglia, a region of southern Italy. Its name comes from its shape, which resembles a small ear. Mozza will present fresh pasta and pizza dishes and cookbooks from celebrity chefs Nancy Silverton and Mario Batali.
CUT by Wolfgang Puck will serve delicious Pulled Pork Sandwiches, Shrimp and Crab Louis, Chocolate and Caramel Push Pop Ice Cream. At Waku Ghin, Chef Tetsuya Wakuda will debut a series of Japanese pastries in addition to his award-winning cuisine with dishes such as the signature Marinated Botan Shrimp with Sea Urchin and Caviar, Grilled Ohmi Beef with fresh wasabi and Carpaccio of Petuna Ocean Trout with Bitter Salad. For a taste of Chef Justin Quek’s Franco Asian cuisine, Sky on 57 is offering JQ’s Signature Foie Gras
Xiao Long Bao, Buri-oh Ceviche with black truffle vinaigrette and daily specials such as Pan Roasted Iberico De Bellota Neck. In addition, guests will get to sample dishes of upcoming restaurants at Marina Bay Sands by chefs David Thompson and David Myers.
Guests can linger at the modern farmer’s market operated by Fresh Trust where berries, summer and winter fruits; hydroponics and organic vegetables; macadamia nuts as well as organic beef and lamb from Australia are on display. Diners can also pop by the market for a shot of the much-touted superfood kale – this versatile vegetable will be presented in various forms, such as kale juice and kale chips, all prepared fresh on the spot.
Wine connoisseurs can look forward to the finest and rarest wines sourced from around the world at the massive Wine Walk. Over 20 wine suppliers including Monopole, Enoteca, Wine Culture, Unique Wines, Excaliber Wines and Alfa International are taking part in the event. At the Singapore Straits Wine booth, apart from organic and rare wines on sale, sommeliers will share their knowledge on wines with activities such as wine and cheese pairings, thematic wine tasting and a blind tasting session. Its booth will display mini bottles of scents for guests to test their senses. Culina will offer the famous Taittinger Champagne, paired with caviar and Iberico ham while KOT Selections will conduct a blind tasting competition at its booth.
Second-time exhibitor KOT Selections’ founding and managing partner Ong Yi Xin said, “Last year, we had a fantastic response from guests and are expecting an even stronger and more enthusiastic crowd this time. We’ll also be introducing incredible new additions to our wine portfolio from California.” He will also be presenting a master class on the concept of terroir, illustrating how a particular region’s climate, soil and terrain influence each wine’s traits with examples from various vineyards.
Over at Proof & Company’s booth, experience its new pop up retail concept with the sale of artisanal spirits and cocktail ingredients, Japanese and European bar tools and books on cocktail making – everything you need to build a beautiful home bar. Guest will get to sample premium artisanal spirits, take part in mini cocktail making classes by three world-ranked bartenders, Joe Alessandroni, Zdenek Kastanek and Peter Chua.
Spencer Forhart, Portfolio Director at Proof & Company said, “There has never been a better time for food and beverage in Singapore, the industry is flourishing as consumers become ever more focused on quality. We’re extremely proud to be featured alongside Singapore’s globally renowned food and beverage teams at this year’s Marina Bay Sands’ Epicurean Market. The Proof & Company team will be showcasing an exciting new pop-up retail concept for the first time, bringing the art of craft cocktails to Singapore’s chefs.”
Unwind over the weekend at the sleek central bar presented by Veuve Clicquot Champagne and Ketel One Vodka. Guests can enjoy a bespoke bar experience within Epicurean Market by sipping the elegant Veuve Clicquot and cocktails handcrafted by celebrated mixologists using fresh produce at the Ketel One craft pop-up bar.
Day 1 highlights – Friday, 12 September
· Catch celebrity chefs Nancy Silverton from Mozza and David Thompson from the upcoming Long Chim at their master classes as they present culinary tips and splendid dishes from their restaurants.
· Discover the king of Cognacs, LOUIS XIII de Rémy Martin, made available to the public at Epicurean Market for the first time. Created in 1874, LOUIS XIII is an exceptional blend of 1,200 eaux-de-vie aged over 100 years, with each decanter highlighting the passionate work of four generations of Cellar Masters. Experience the LOUIS XIII with an amazing dessert pairing. Ticket for this exclusive master class is priced at S$50 (original ticket value of S$350) with a limited capacity of 40 participants. Limited-edition tickets have been packaged for this exclusive session, at S$73 per person (includes the S$23 ticket access to Epicurean Market for three days).
· Renowned bartenders, Joe Alessandroni and Zdenek Kastanek from Proof & Company will lead a master class on the art of cocktail tasting. Participants will learn how to assess the balance, flavour, ingredients and overall quality of drinks they are served in bars and restaurants.
· Bring home unique items from Epicurean Market with the celebrity chef restaurants presenting exclusive items that are otherwise not available for sale. Guests can buy items to recreate celebrity chef flavours at home. The items include special steak seasoning from CUT by Wolfgang Puck, spice rubs from Mozza, Ginger Flower Vinaigrette from Sky on 57 and a specially-created db Singaporean chili sauce by db Bistro Moderne.
Day 2 highlights – Saturday, 13 September
· Get set for the Great FIJI Water Race where adventurous foodies will be racing to complete tasks and challenges at the different zones within Epicurean Market. For example, one task involves celebrity chef spotting, taking the photos and posting them on Instagram to earn points. Other tasks will test their wine knowledge or ability to create coffee art in the shortest amount of time. The winner of the Great FIJI Water Race will walk away with the grand prize of S$2,000 cash, one year’s supply of FIJI Water and two nights stay at Marina Bay Sands. The race is open to all guests attending Epicurean Market throughout the show duration on 13 September. For more details on the Great FIJI Water Race, visit www.facebook.com.sg/FIJIWaterSG
· For the first time ever, executive chefs Jonathan Kinsella (db Bistro Moderne) and David Almany (Osteria Mozza) will compete against each other in the Mystery Box Challenge. The two chefs will use their creativity and ingenuity to present the best dish using ingredients from a mystery box in an hour or less.
· Take a peek into the fascinating history and origins of vermouth and aromatised wine with Lucas Swallows, Marina Bay Sands’ mixologist, on creating light, aperitif style drinks using top Italian and French aromatised wines. Guests will also learn how to store and utilise these premium spirits at home.
· Learn from the pastry master as Iron Chef Thailand’s champion Chef Jason Licker from KU DÉ TA conducts a special master class on creating modern Asian desserts. Chef Jason Licker will also team up with Pastry Chef Ariane Jimenez to serve their gorgeous creations at the KU DÉ TA booth at selected times, including Sang Som Cappuccino and White Chocolate-Junmai Cream, both available exclusively at Epicurean Market. As evening descends, the KU DÉ TA booth will be transformed into a groovy bar serving its signature Singapore and Bangkok cocktails with its regional head mixologist Knut Randhem holding court. Exclusive-to-Epicurean cocktails such as Kiku Vesper and Hurricane Lychee will be served as their deejays spin the latest dance tracks at Epicurean Market.
Day 3 highlights – Sunday, 14 September
· Renowned Tetsuya Wakuda drew a large crowd last year with his legendary master classes. He will return this year with a class on preparing his favourite seafood dishes at the 80-pax auditorium, before signing his cookbooks for fans.
· Aspiring junior bakers can take part in an interactive workshop with db Bistro Moderne’s Executive Pastry Chef Benjamin Siwek as he leads 25 children in a Junior Pastry Academy session, guiding them to create delicious chocolate chip cookies and marzipan animals. The pastry class is open to children aged 5-10 years old and pre-registration1 is required.
· Executive Chef Josh Brown from CUT by Wolfgang Puck will take participants through the entire process of selecting and butchering a Prime Rib, tying it before the roasting process and special carving techniques.
· Taste the nuances in different types of water at a water and wine harmonisation master class with Culina. The master class will take guests through a journey of the unique history and characteristics of different types of waters and how their unique taste and qualities come together with wine and food to deliver the ultimate dining experience. The session reveals how to make the most of fine wine, whether you are enjoying a bottle at home or at a fine dining restaurant.
In line with Marina Bay Sands’ eco practices, Epicurean Market will feature activities on sustainability. Guests can bring home chili seeds and nurture them to start a little herb garden at home. The seeds, available at the RISE booth, are packaged with an easy-to-follow chili-dip recipe. RISE will also offer its own concoction of green juices for the health-conscious. Paper, plastic and food waste will be segregated for proper recycling and processing after the event concludes.
Celebrity Chef Dinners
In the lead up to Epicurean Market and F1, Chefs Tetsuya, Nancy Silverton and David Myers will be hosting special dinners.
Waku Ghin is hosting an exclusive Sake Dinner on 9 September that will feature 11 sake masters from the association Frontier Tojo 21, representing the most revered breweries in Japan. Guests will get to savour exquisite and rare sake throughout the night such as the Juyondai, KokuRyu and Isojiman.
Nancy Silverton is presenting a wine dinner at Osteria Mozza featuring classic Italian dishes and signature dishes from Osteria Mozza on 17 September while David Myers will join hands with db Bistro Moderne’s Jonathan Kinsella to present a wine dinner on 16 September, themed on American cuisine influenced by his travels around the world.
Epicurean Market is supported by Presenting Sponsor Citibank, Gold Sponsor Coca Cola, Official Gourmet Lifestyle Magazine Epicure, Official Still Water FIJI, Event Partner Miele, Official Glassware Schott Zwiesel and Official Draft Beer Asia Pacific Breweries.
Citibank cardmembers will enjoy a 10 per cent discount off tickets to Epicurean Market. Miss Jacquelyn Tan, Managing Director and Head of Credit Payment Products, Citibank Singapore Limited said, “Citibank is proud to be the presenting partner of Epicurean Market, featuring the best cuisine from the region and around the world. We are excited by the renowned line-up of celebrity chefs and mixologists which promises to congregate gastronomes looking for the ultimate gourmet indulgence.”
Miss Tan added, “In line with our dining partnership with Marina Bay Sands Celebrity Chef restaurants, which gives Citibank cardmembers yearlong discounts and complimentary champagne, cardmembers will enjoy 10% off entry tickets as well as on selected food and beverage at the event. Part of Singapore’s renowned Formula One night race celebrations, this exquisite indoor picnic at the Epicurean Market will showcase the finest in culinary fare. Citibank is delighted to be part of this significant event and continues to offer the best dining experiences under our credit cards dining privileges programme. Citibank Gourmet Pleasures, which guarantees unrivalled dining deals islandwide.”
Epicurean Market on Social Media
Follow #epicureanmarket on Marina Bay Sands’ Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to get updates, join in the conversation and participate in contests during the three-day event. Get a free selfie stick at Epicurean Market by signing up for a free Sands Rewards LifeStyle card and upload your selfie photos with hashtag #epicureanmarket and #sandsrewardslifestyle. The best photos will stand to win prizes including picnic hampers from SweetSpot given out each day. Stay tuned for more details on Marina Bay Sands’ Facebook page.
Epicurean Market will be held at Sands Expo and Convention Centre, Basement 2, Hall D & E from 12-14 September 2014. http://www.marinabaysands.com/epicurean-market