Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo is giving guests a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience authentic Japanese culture, with the Nihonbashi Experience.
Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo is located in the premier district of Nihonbashi, the perfect place to be fully immersed in the history and culture of the city and a stone’s throw from the landmark ‘Bridge of Japan’. This fascinating neighbourhood is home to the Bank of Japan and Japan’s oldest department store, Nihonbashi Mitsukoshi Maini as well as centuries-old shops offering everything from traditional fans, fabric, Washi paper, and lacquerware to delicious Japanese confectioneries such as dashi and seaweed. One of the best spots for cherry blossom viewing ‘Edo Sakura Dori’, as well as the prominent Shinto shrines are also on the doorstep to visit.
During their stay at the award-winning hotel, guests will be given the opportunity to enjoy a unique snapshot of Japanese culture, with a choice of five different experiences to be selected upon reservation from the following options:
· A precious opportunity to rent and wear an authentic Kimono while exploring the culture the city has to offer.
· An English-spoken masterclass in the unique gourmets and cultures of Nihonbashi. Guests will visit the famous Nihonbashi Bridge, the Fukutoku shrine and traditional Japanese stores.
· A fun, unique workshop in Washi papermaking. Guests will handcraft the strong yet soft paper, a treasured staple in the lives of Japanese people.
· A class in glass engraving, using the traditional technique of Edo Kiriko, which dates back to 1834 in the period of Edo. Guests will learn about the skill and produce their own glass engraving to take home.
· A lesson in the distinctive craft of Japanese flower arranging. Guests will learn about this art form, which is vastly different from the European style, in a 90-minute class.
Guests can enjoy a full breakfast as part of the package, served at the hotel’s K’shiki restaurant or Oriental Lounge. The package also includes a stunningly illustrated walking map of Nihonbashi. The guide is curated by the hotel’s own concierge team and gives a conclusive round-up of the history of the city, best places to eat and must-visit cultural sights. The unique insight and tips from the hotel’s own team separate it from other guides of the city.
The Nihonbashi Experience starts at JPY 70,000 per night for single occupancy and JPY 80,000 for double occupancy, excluding 8% consumption tax, 15% service charge and an accommodation tax of JPY 200 per person.