The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company has become the first Founding Partner of IMPACT 2030: The Global Initiative for the Advancement of Corporate Volunteering. IMPACT 2030 was introduced at the United Nations on Friday, December 5, 2014 on “International Volunteer Day” where The Ritz-Carlton and the fellow Founding Partner companies showcased the meaningful difference their employees are making locally, nationally and internationally through corporate volunteering.
IMPACT 2030 is a global private sector led collaboration created to mobilize corporate volunteers to contribute to achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. The Initiative’s partner companies recognize that a commitment to corporate volunteering — when used in concert with the United Nations, peer companies, and philanthropic and nonprofit organizations — is a powerful tool to address critical social and environmental issues and inspire the private sector to positive action. The focus areas for The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company’s social and environmental responsibility program, Community Footprints, are hunger and poverty relief; child well-being; and environmental responsibility, and are key components of the company’s culture of corporate social responsibility.
“Through IMPACT 2030, the power of many will be the force that will allow us to impact the world,” said Herve Humler, President and Chief Operations Officer of The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company. “In communities where we do business, we will be collaborating with corporate partners and other stakeholders to help address critical issues”. He is joined at the United Nations on International Volunteer Day by Sue Stephenson, the company’s vice president of community footprints and Vice Chairperson of the Executive Committee for IMPACT 2030, to recognize and celebrate the dedication and impact being made by Ritz-Carlton employee volunteers.
In support of International Volunteer Day, the Community Footprints teams at The Ritz-Carlton Hotels and Resorts across the globe participated in volunteer activities in their communities. Through the combined efforts of all of the Ladies and Gentlemen, the Community Footprints teams reached out to 100 communities in 28 countries and territories throughout the world.
A sample of the Community Footprints projects that The Ritz-Carlton Ladies and Gentlemen are participating in include –
• At The Ritz-Carlton, Dubai International Financial Center planting and helping conserve the Ghaf tree, a rare desert plant species of culture and ecological significance
• At The Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco volunteering to renovate FamilyHouse, a center supporting children and families in a low-income community in the cancer treatment and recovery process.
• At The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong assisted in preparation and distribution of over 1,200 lunch boxes in support of Hong Chi Association’s Sports Day. Hong Chi Association is a non-profit organization in Hong Kong that helps people of all ages with intellectual disabilities and their families.
• At The Ritz-Carlton, Berlin, The Ladies and Gentlemen hosted interview skills classes for young students at Bildungswerk-Kreuzberg, helping them improve their social skills and guide them through mock interviews.
• At The Ritz-Carlton Corporate Office in Chevy Chase, Maryland, the team participated in a Succeed Through Service literacy coach program to help the young students at Cardozo Education Campus improve their reading skills.